It’s Neville Christie and Conan Young, suggesting a maverick approach to how, as a member of Innovating Cosmos, you quickly find the ‘right’ new opportunity for you to work on,
Climbing the wall
Over 20 different people are attributed with a quote like, “As you create your life, and climb the ladder of success, make sure it’s leaning against the right wall.”
So, clearly, they’re all expressing an important truth.
But there are three vital secrets lurking behind this wise advice:
- The ‘right wall’ for us keeps changing. Roughly, every five years most of us reach a ‘pivot’ where we need to re-find, re-design, re-create the ‘right’ wall – the right career, job, business, direction, opportunity, project - for us.
- Typically, between us all, we have seven different responses when we reach this ‘pivot’: We flee. We fight. We bunker down and hope the ‘crisis’ will pass. We run faster. We slow right down. We adapt. Or we transform. Some of these responses lead us back to the ‘wrong’ wall. Others set us in the right direction.
- While most of us look ‘out there’ in the physical world for our next big opportunity, each time the kick-start answer lies mainly ‘in here’. So…by answering the following 7+1 questions, we find what opportunities lie inside us, waiting to manifest – and we save a lot of our time, life, innovating energy and dollars.
We need these questions because they give us a filter
Here, today, with Innovating Cosmos our context is, “How do I find, design, create the ‘right’ new world-changing opportunity, for me – with others, to spend the next 1-3-5 years happily working on?”
Opportunities lie everywhere in the guise of problems. So, if you consider enough options, you’ll find literally thousands of possibilities in front of you. In practice, most of these you will either not consider, or reject for one reason or another. So, by answering the following 7 + 1 questions you will get to the right ‘wall’ quicker and easier - which ‘wall’, then, rather than simply climb, you, with your carefully selected team, break down and transform into a major opportunity. And a significant innovation.
Answer these three questions first
- At this time in my life, what is my overriding Life Purpose?
Great opportunities must align with our Life Purpose. And our Life Purpose must align with our opportunities. Else rejection or failure is almost guaranteed.
There are 6 core Life Purposes we all rotate roughly every 5 years, in amazingly varying ways. Before Christmas we’ll have a guide book to share with you about what these 6 BIG Purposes are. And how you navigate them.
- Following the God ‘stuff’
- Cloning Me
- Being the best Me I can be
- Going for wealth, power and influence
- Making the world better
- My own secret recipe
- What are my inborn talents, skills, strengths and interests – that I honour in me?
And which, of these, are important for me to use and manifest in the world - for my wellness and the good of others?
Often it’s good to dialogue about what they are, with your life partner, close friends, work colleagues, or find a mentor!
Innovation Psychologist, Conan Young, says, “Your goals need to be self-concordant for you to stay motivated, especially when the stakes are high or the seas are rough. So, any opportunity not built, first, on your core Life Purpose, and second, on your talents, skills, strengths, values and abiding interests, will either be rejected by you… or if you take them on, will have a high chance of failure.”
- What big ‘world’ problems really worry me?
And worry me enough that I’m prepared to ‘fix’ them.
Here, it’s useful to list 10-20-30-40. Then narrow them down to the 2-3 you most realistically can change. See Opportunities Galore for a bit of direction.
Consciously ‘meditate’ on this world problem question for a week or more. And carry with you a way to list these problems – maybe on your mobile - as they jump up from your unconscious.
Reversal: Conan Young rightly points out: “Innovating’s not always about “big” world problems - it’s also about what is valuable to people. Anything valued by others can be a huge opportunity also…”
So, also ask: what could make the people in my world happier or better off?
Now get more concrete as you answer these next three filter questions
- What’s are the types of added value I feel comfortable, and uncomfortable, with?
- For profit? Not for Profit?
- In what areas of human endeavour – sport, politics, religion, culture, business, education, science, welfare, health….?
- For friends near, dear and held close?
- For ‘friends’ around Australia, in Asia, around the world?
What ‘calls’ to me, or ‘moves’ me most?: Transmitting new ideas. Creating new products. Technologies. Changed organisations. Software, apps or dapps. Blockchain and crypto-currencies. Relationships. Children. The next generation.Our oldest generation…
Climate change. Sustainability. Total wellness. Gold, property, personal wealth. Changed institutions. New processes. New systems. Science, art, dance, education, high culture. A revolution. Eradicating poverty. A different sort of society. A new form of capitalism. Revamping democracy.
Aligning with China. Transforming lives. Creating a new monetary and banking system. Personal power. Travel. Adventure. The quiet life; reflection; transcendence; bliss; world peace; personal peace…
Creating new frontiers. Breaking with tradition. Home. Getting away from home…what?
- What’s definitely ON and OFF the agenda for me?
- What level of value seems right for me?
We all have complex relationships with money and value. And whether you and I are working for profit, or not-for-profit, as innovators we have an inbuilt Geiger Counter that calculates the amount of money or value we feel we ‘deserve’ to earn - or that we can add to the world’s value over the next 3-5 years.
When you carefully examine, in dollar terms, what that amount is, you have an enormously important filter as to the size and scope of the innovating opportunities you will actually embrace with others. Too small and you’re not motivated. Too big and you turn away.
So, ask yourself: Over each of the next 3-5 years, I don’t just aspire to but I know I can earn or add value - alone or with others - to the tune of $200,000? $1 million? $5 million? $10 million? $50 million?
- How can I/will I do this?
Now ask: How can I marshal my costs, assets and income in ways that mean I can realistically work 1-2-3 days a week on world-changing, equity-sharing projects – where I gain no income for as many as 3+ years - without adversely impacting my family, my health, or our life-style?
Now add the 7th big filter
- Who are the ‘nutritious’ people - with what sorts of talents, skills, values, strengths – that I naturally gravitate towards. And most like to work collaboratively and co-operatively with?
What sorts of ‘toxic’ people do I choose NOT to work with?
For example: The people you’ll find at Innovating Cosmos
Members are positive, practical, committed, hands-on change agents, entrepreneurs and innovators who act to opportunize the world’s big issues – either for profit, or as a social good, or both! And who share, collaborate, partner, joint venture. Rather than to go it alone.
For example: The people you won’t find at Innovating Cosmos
Generally you won’t find as members: chronic pessimists, ideologues, theorizers, critics, people with axes to grind, those who are ‘butthurt’, anyone who needs to blame or leave everything to others, or those who want merely to destroy or pull down, rather than build, create and innovate.
Given you are a Foundation Member, our Innovating Cosmos Innovating Elder, Neville Christie, or our Innovating Psychologist, Conan Young, are always happy to assist you clarify your filters.
A vital 8th question
As you get clearer about the specific opportunities you might take on, it is also vital you ask this 8th multi-headed question:
How, can we as a team, multiply, leverage and scale this opportunity so it can be global and big?
e.g. Keaz – developed by the core Innovating Cosmos team – is a platform designed for the sharing economy. Using it, many hundreds of different business opportunities can be built.
Innovating Cosmos – the place where innovators innovate collaboratively.
Next week: How you activate your first Innovating Cosmos project.